Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Sister Back's First Letter Home!

HI FAMILY!!!!
How are you all?? Thank you for all the Dear Elders, and emails! Please keep them coming - it is the best way to end a day with a note from the fam!! Mary Beth sends me one almost everyday!! Getting mail is the bomb. Okay, well, there is so much to tell you, and so little time, so I am going to try my best!! Leaving Mom and Dad at the curb was a little sadder than I thought it was going to be! However, Sister Hayes, a girl who went to Skyline, was my host, so it made it a lot easier than I was expecting!! NO TEARS! We walked to building 1M where I went into a room and received my name tag! SUCH A HAPPY THING! With a big smile on my face, a sweet lady who kinda reminded me of Mom put my name tag on. With tears in her eyes she said, ”My daughter comes home from her mission in a few months and I see so much of her in you!!” I felt so much joy and comfort in that moment, and knew that was exactly where I was supposed to be! I went and put my bags in my room, and quickly went to class, where only French was being spoken!! The only thing I and the other two sisters could do was laugh! Soeur Proodfoot (my comp) came in a little while later, she sat down, and immediately started communicating with the teacher.... We all felt a little worried! They actually gave her the option to leave for France in two weeks, but she stayed with me!! I am so grateful for that!! She may not be in the MTC for herself, but I know she is here for me!! She has lived all over the world, including Belgium, which is a part of our mission!! We are so much alike it’s a little weird... The other day in class she said "Guys, what is your daily urge? Like mine is to do a headstand!!!" My mouth dropped I was so EXCITED!! We continue to bond over stupid stuff like that everyday!! She truly is a blessing in my life!! So far we haven't had a permanent teacher... It has made things a little challenging. However, it is great for our agency... We have to do a lot of studying on our own, which is kinda hard when our zone is so fun! But Soeur Proodfoot and I have decided that the tone on our classroom is set by us, so we have to remained focused on learning French and the Gospel, and others seem to follow! My district is amazing. It is composed of 2 companionships of Elders and 2 companionships of Sisters, including Proodfoot and me! The Elders are Awesome!! They have such a strong desire to learn and are so smart! It pushes all of us to work a little harder! We sit in a classroom with them for hours on end, so I feel so lucky they are so great! The rest of our floor is composed of other French speaking missionaries and our Zone, so the hallways are full of French and socializing. Not sure if that is the best thing, but sometimes you need a little break right??? In my room, it is just the 4 of us Sisters in our district!! SO, YES MOM, I HAVE 2 CLOSETS AND MY CLOTHES FIT!!!!! So BLESSED ALWAYS HERE! On Friday, Soeur Proodfoot and I taught our first lesson! We are teaching a lady named Solonge! (Really, she will become one of our teachers, but as of now we know her as Solonge, an investigator she taught on our teacher’s mission)! Our first lesson was tough... Probably one of the harder days! All I had to do was say the prayer and ask a simple question... I did it... Just very poorly... I had so much I wanted to say, I just didn't know the words to say it!! It was so frustrating! Luckily Soeur Proodfoot carried the lesson and The Spirit was there! I am so grateful for that experience though, because it truly gave me the desire to learn the language! God truly works in mysterious ways!! GENERAL CONFERENCE was THE BEST!!! I LOVED every second of it! Especially Saturday morning!! Elder Wong's talk might have been one of my favorites when he said "The work to save souls is never too demanding!” How true is that?!! I know serving a mission is going to be hard! But I am prepared! This work is so important, and I am so excited to be focused on it all the time!! There were so many good talks!! How could you ever choose your favorite!! In the MTC, the gym turns into a huge auditorium where all 2,000 missionaries watched conference in English! It was truly an amazing experience to all be together, listening to these talks from our leaders that felt as though they were truly directed toward you. Everyone said “Make it to Sunday…” I made it to Sunday with a smile on my face, but Monday was by far my favorite day here!! We had a lesson from a random teacher named Frere Israel. He speaks very poor English and has a pretty crazy accent, so none of us could understand him... It was funny!! We all were laughing! We had our second lesson with Solonge. On our first lesson with Solonge, we went in with a written out lesson plan... every question, every testimony... It was bad... So this time we decided we weren't going to take in any exact notes, and just try and teach by The Spirit. We planned a lesson on The Spirit, prophets and the Book of Mormon because Solonge had watched conference. It WAS THE BEST THING EVER!!! We asked her how conference was and talked a little bit about it! Soeur ProodFoot bore her testimony on how she came to know the truth of The Church! Then it was my turn... In very broken French I said, "Everyday I read the Book of Mormon I feel The Spirit and the joy and peace it brings. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God! JE SAIS!!" Soeur Proodfoot continued to tell her how the Book of Mormon and Bible go hand and hand! I all the sudden felt so much Love for Solonge! I knew I had to share the love I had for her and more importantly the love our Heavenly Father has for her!! In very broken French I said! I love you! I Know that our Heavenly Father loves you! With tears in our eyes The Spirit was in the room!! I am SO GRATEFUL for The SPIRIT!! I WILL TEACH A THOUSAND LESSONS IF HE IS THERE!! It was one of the best feelings in the whole world to share a message that your Heavenly Father wanted/needed Solonge to know!! I am so grateful for that experience! It has made me so excited to share this gospel with the people of France! Monday Night/every night, we have gym, and it is the most fun thing ever!! We play volleyball with our Zone and I LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT!! Today has been a great day, we woke up at 5 and headed to the temple with our Zone! So early, but so worth it!! In the celestial room I said a prayer telling my Heavenly Father my goals for my mission. I then asked Him what his goals were for me! As I was sitting there I heard a voice that said "Share your light, share my love!" I sat there with tears in my eyes filled with so much joy knowing that my Heavenly Father Loves me, knows me, and communicates with me. I know I am supposed to be here right now, to share my light with those around me! I know this is where I am supposed to be!! I have never been more happy!! I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!! I love you all! You are all truly amazing examples to me!! Thank you for your love and support!! GUYS, GO SHARE YOUR LIGHT!! I LOVE YOU ALL! Love, Seour Back







No comments:

Post a Comment